Calvin Harris: 18 months -review

First of all, I would like to apologize to all my readers for not updating my blog for over a month. I´ve been fascinated by the fantastic world of DC comics, and all my efforts have been in that graphic world. But now is the time to get musical again :-)

Calvin Harris is a Scottish DJ, who recently had a big breakthrough with Rihannas We found love, which is also on this album. This is Calvins third album, the previous one from 2009, which was a celebration of melodies and different styles and which was sung entirely by Calvin.

In 18 months Calvin is joined by pop artists like Tinie Tempah, Ne-yo and Kelis to deliver some easy tunes to the general public. The album is mostly constructed of electrohouse tunes in the vein of David Guetta or Afrojack. You hear your obligatory distorted sounds and the big build-ups which lead to anemic flat melodies.

Having said that there are still a few stand-outs:  We´ll be coming back, I need your love and the one I recently started to like, Let´s go. There are also a couple of interludes that should have been expanded into long versions.

18 monts is a pure pop-album for those who like their dance music very simple. I think for more sophisticated EDM lovers this offers a couple joyous moments, but thats it. Hopefully Calvin releases something more ambitious in the future...

I give  3/5 stars.

Kommentit

Suositut tekstit