Kebu -interview

I had a chat with a Finnish synthwizard Kebu:

   
1. Who are your biggest idols in the music industry now or in the past?



 Well, I do not particularly idolize anyone in the music industry, but there are many musicians I admire. [:)] In terms of synthesizer-related music, Jean Michel Jarre, Vangelis and Mike Oldfield are my Top 3 favourites. Recently, I have also started to listen to contemporary trance music, especially that of the Anjunabeats label and also Armin Van Buuren.

2. Have you considered doing vocal tracks?


Yes, I have! I used to do industrial music under my nick name Kebu about 10 years ago, where I also sang. That's probably the reason why it didn't go anywhere... [:)] I've started to think about bringing in guest singers, but it is just an idea. Let's see how things go.

3. Is synthesizer music the one genre you are going to stick to, or are you branching out to another genres?


I used to play in many different bands and have been playing bluegrass, soul jazz, funk, metal and even choral music. Right now, I'm finalizing the debut album of my rock band Kouzin Bedlam.

4. There are hints of trance music on your album To Jupiter and back. Is this a genre you appreciate?


I didn't use to, and must say that I still have difficulties in finding trance music that I like. Most of it gets boring very fast. But a good example of trance music that I like is the Anjunabeats compilation called Worldwide 03 - of its 29 tracks there is only one that I don't like.

5. What are your opinions about todays music industry, mp3´s and so on?


Thanks to the Internet I have been able to find people who like this type of music from all over the world. Without encouragement from my fans I probably wouldn't have made an album in the first place, so it definitely has been my primary means for making my music heard. But It's definitely very difficult today to make a living in music. I have a day-time job, so I have the luxury of being able to do only the kind of music that I like. But I don't have as much time for music as I would like to have.

6. Do you know any other synthwizards like you in Finland?


In my opinion, Esa Kotilainen is definitely THE synth wizard in Finland. It's astonishing how he can play his minimoog so dynamically, considering that its keys does not respond to how hard you play them (in contrast to a piano).

7. What´s the one special song that you most want to remix? Or is there one?


I normally don't do remixes and my only reason for doing one was that I stumbled upon an ongoing competition and had some extra time. Also, I thought the original was quite boring and uninteresting, so I took it as a challenge to turn it into something better. A great tune does not need a remix.

8. Is there going to be more albums?


Definitely! But it might take some time, since I'm currently busy with recording the final keyboard parts to Kouzin Bedlam's debut album. Also, my debut album was finalized under some pressure - I had a tight schedule with deadlines beginning in late Autumn last year, since I wanted to have a record out for the mini-tour in Spring. So for my next album, I would like to have all the songs ready before I decide to do an album. But I have tendency to get excited and like making grand plans... [:)]

Thanks for the interview!!!

Kommentit

Suositut tekstit