Bright light Bright light interview

I had a little chat via e-mail with Rod Thomas aka Bright light Bright light.

1. What kind of music you most enjoy? Is dancemusic closest to your heart?

- I enjoy lots of different types of music, but my favourite thing about a song is melody and harmony. As long as the song has a great melody - vocal or instrumental - it usually wins me over. Some of my favourites are Pet Shop Boys, Kate Bush, Erasure, Joni Mitchell and Chet Baker. There is something about a great rhythm or drum beat though that still gets me. Lots of late 80s, early 90s dance music that I just can't resist.

2. Is there any musical genre you hate or can´t understand?

 
- Dubstep doesn't really do anything for me, although I get why so many people like it. It's just not my favourite kind of production.

3. What are your opinions about dancemusic today conquering the charts and popstars making dance music?

- Well I love dance music, so I'm all for hearing dance music in the charts! I think you can tell though when an artist is making music they really love, and when they're making something because it's in a trend. Luckily there are amazing pioneers of great dance like JUSTICE or Simian Mobile Disco who manage to make the charts as well as stay true to their own sound.

4. As a gay man, have you met discrimination in the music industry?

- I wouldn't say I've met discrimination based on my sexuality no.

5. If you could do a duet with any artist, who would it be? And what kind of song?

- I'd love to duet with Kate Bush on something lush and orchestral like her 'Aerial' album, or I'd love to collaborate with Royksopp or Simian Mobile Disco. What SMD did with Beth Ditto was absolutely amazing, so to make an EP like that with someone would be the dream.

6. Do you enjoy clubbing or dancing?

- Very much so. I run two clubnights in London - Another Night (a 90s night) and Comfortable Shoes (an indie night). I spend a lot of my time out at gigs or in clubs, so dancing is a big part of my day to day life.

7. How do you see the future of music? Do you like people downloading mp3´s or listening to Spotify?

- I'm unsure. I think at least with downloading people are sharing music so spreading word, and at least with Spotify you get *some* royalties. But I think illegal downloading / free mp3 sites really take away from artists lifespan, as much as they may create buzz, as if there is no money from sales, it's harder to sustain a career. It's tricky. Personally, I hate listening to mp3s. I like listening to an album start to finish with a CD or a vinyl in my hand. But I know I'm very far from the common opinion in that!


Thanks Rod for the interview :-)


Kommentit

Suositut tekstit