Will.i.am: Willpower -review


Will.i.ams long overdue album Willpower is finally out. Due to the poor success of first singles (like T.H.E, which isnt even featured on the album) the album has been postponed for a long time. Single Scream and  shout was the first decent hit, so the album got the green light.

Black Eyed Peas two previous albums were a mixture of electrohouse and r´n´b  so you couldnt expect anything less from Will.i.am. Willpower is more EDM powered than the BEP -albums, but that isnt necessarily a good thing. Will.i.am walks the road much traveled when it comes to clubsounds. The irritating electrosounds were a big hit in Europe couple of years ago, and USA has now catched up with Europeans so its all about electro and nonsense sounds now. Let´s go (stolen from Arty) is probably one of the stupidest pop songs I´ve heard for a while. The refrain is OK, but the irritating electro whining ruins the whole song. Also #thatpower and couple of other songs follow that same generic pattern.

Even the hip hop bits like Geekin sound like throwbacks from ten years ago, when clubs were all about r´n´b and you couldnt hear dancemusic anywhere. Hip hop song Ghetto ghetto  made me almost puke because of Baby Kaely. Nothing gets me more irritated than children singing, yugh!

Lyrically Will.i.am churns out your typical childish lyrics like on Geekin:

"Hey, I’m on that geek geek


Freaking technology technique

Yeah, I flow tight never leak,

I’m the future with a bunch of antique

I make Google money, that’s a lot of clicks

So tell me who the dummy and who's the genius Annotate?"


If I have to say something good about this album, it would probably be that there are about two good listenable songs and they are Reach for the stars and Fall down with Miley Cyrus.   Other than that, this is really not worth your money. Go and buy some Russian pop music instead...

I give 1/5 stars.



Kommentit

Suositut tekstit