Daft Punk: Random access memories -review


Daft Punks Random access memories was one of the anticipated albums of this decade.With nice teasers like interviews with Giorgio Moroder and Nile Rodgers, fans were drooling. Daft Punks take on 70´s disco and funk was going to be like a breath fresh air in the midst of EDM hysteria.

When I got my hands on this, my first reaction was amazement that how DF had managed to achieve such an authentic sound of the 70´s. BUT soon I realised that this was totally different what I expected it to be.  Yeah they do the 70´s disco thing but could it be more boring. No uplifting melodies, no fast ecstatic drums or high bpms. Disco used to be funny, energetic and made you wanna dance. This album more likely makes you wanna sleep. The pace is so slow that you get bored before you reach the  middle of this album.

Yeah I know this is a interpretation of funk too, but could you do it more in your own style? Now the typical DP vocoders seem out of place on top of these songs.  They seem to have put them there to convince people that this is Daft Punk.

Where DP fails really miserably is the misuse of Giorgio Moroder on song Giorgio by Moroder. To my knowledge Giorgio had nothing do with the music, he only talks on this song. What an epic disco song this could have been, not its just boring wanna be epic disco song.
The use of other vocalists like Paul Williams is also quite weird. Why on earth they didnt use any female disco divas? I bet Aretha, Diana or Gloria could easily have agreed to work with them.

After all this criticising,  I have to say that one song lifts my rating. And that is the first single Get lucky. This is 100% percent perfect disco song in the style of Chic. It has a great melody, excellent vocals and a bassline to die for. One could only dream how this album could have sounded live with other songs like this one.

As a whole, Random access memories doesnt have the cohesion like Discovery had. Album lacks enthusiasm, interest or clever musical gimmicks that I´ve come to expect from DP. Biggest disappointment of the year.

Because of Get lucky and not being electrohouse, dubstep or any other trendy sound, I give

2/5 stars.

Kommentit

Suositut tekstit